Rules and Regulations
The Trinidad and Tobago Smartphone Film Festival (SFF) is open to any aspiring filmmakers in the country. The festival was initiated in 2014 and is a competition in which members of the public are invited to submit 5-minute short films, produced using only smartphone/ mobile device technology.
There are no restrictions to the participation in this competition therefore every smartphone user or interested smartphone user who resides within Trinidad and Tobago is eligible.
Participants will have free access to online resources on internationally standardised filmmaking through Knowledge.TT
Among other prizes, the winners will also have their films submitted into the Toronto and Tokyo Smartphone Film Festivals, two of the largest smartphone festivals worldwide.
In 2015, FilmTT will be partnering with its sister company MusicTT to include a Music Video category for the film festival.
The Trinidad and Tobago Smartphone Film Festival will be organized by The Trinidad and Tobago Film Company (FilmTT) and will be partnered with Knowledge.TT for the online training element.
The festival’s sponsors are Blink Bmobile, Samsung and Slam 100.5fm is the Official Radio Station.
The Trinidad and Tobago Smartphone Film Festival will accept submissions from June 2nd –7th August 2015
Friday 7th August 2015 at 4pm
OFFICIAL PLATFORM FOR VIDEO UPLOAD AND RULES AND GUIDELINES
- Entry Eligibility
- This Festival is open to all residing nationals and permanent residents of Trinidad and Tobago
- Entries may be submitted by individuals or groups. (Groups must not exceed 8 persons.)
- Persons under 18years of age require written consent by a parent or guardian.
- Only films shot by a smartphone or tablet device are eligible.
- All genres of films are eligible including animation, comedy, horror, music video, documentary, and experimental.
- Multiple smartphones or tablet devices may be used.
- Software may be used to edit the video, audio, correction of colour and special effects.
- External microphones, lenses, lighting and tripods may be used.
- Nudity, profanity, racism, prejudice and excessive violence are not permitted. Films must be suitable for all ages.
- The submitted film shall not imitate or plagiarise any copyrighted work. The entry shall be the intellectual property of the participant, not violating intellectual property rights of others including patents, registered utility model rights, design rights, trademarks, used music copyright, or any other intellectual rights protected by relevant laws and regulations) or personal right ( name and likeness etc.)
- Films must not exceed five (5) minutes in length inclusive of credits.
- Films must not be less than 3mins.
- Music Videos are allowed.
- Original music is ideal for all music videos, if not, written consent for music used, must be included in the application.
$50,000 in Prizes to Be Won:
- 1st Place
- 2nd Place
- 3rd Place
- MusicTT Best Music Video Award
- Blink/Bmobile Viewer’s Choice Award
N.B: All winners will be eligible to participate in a film-training workshop.
UNITY: T&T Unity
CRIME, VIOLENCE AND ABUSE: A World without Cyber Bullying
t&t CULTURE: People, Places and Patriotism, the Old Time Days
OPEN THEME: Topic of your choice
- Completed submission form, available at bpartofit.com/sff2015
- The final submission format of the Film should be a digital file of h.264/.mov, .mp4, .wmv smaller than 500MB.
- Digital photo and biography of director.
- Film synopsis – 200 words max.
- The make and model of the smartphones and or tablets used.
- The full list of specifications of the equipment used.
- 3 “Behind the Scenes” photos and videos to prove that your project was shot with a smartphone device).
- Your crew contact information ( emails, websites, or Facebook page and credits)
- Parental Consent Forms where applicable.
- Upload your film on Youtube as public or available and paste link in online submission form at bpartofit.com/sff2015
- Deadline for submissions is Friday 7th August 2015 at 4pm please make considerations for the time needed to render and edit video to ensure it is uploading on time. Submissions after this time will be automatically disqualified.
- Your film will be disqualified if it is was previously submitted to a competition or screened at a film festival.
GRANTED LICENSE OF THE ENTRIES
It is considered that any participants at the point of submitting their films have allowed the Trinidad and Tobago Film Company (FilmTT) the following rights, however copyright and ownership of the submitted film stays with the participants.
- The participant/s allows the Trinidad and Tobago Film Company and Sponsors the right to make the work public, to reproduce the work, to edit it and also the rights to: public performance, public transmission, broadcasting, interactive transmission, exhibit and distribute for two (2) years from the date of submission including the selection process at locations and channel of the FilmTT’s choosing regardless of the number of times of Publication. In addition, the participants allow the FilmTT to use and adapt the submitted film as deemed fit within the purpose of advertisement and publicity of the Festival.
- The participants allow the FilmTT and its subsidiaries and sponsors/partner companies the right to make public and reproduce the work, public performance, public transmission, broadcasting, interactive transmission, exhibit and distribute through various online and offline media including but not limited to Wired/Wireless Internet, Broadcasting.
FILM PRODUCTION RESOURCES
Software- Downloads & Purchases
- Production Management Forms – http://bit.ly/1FCCuyF
- Adobe – Premiere Pro – http://adobe.ly/1dn6cW2
- Final Draft (screenwriting software) – http://bit.ly/1Gtv95x
- Celtx – http://bit.ly/SFTqQ1
Tutorials on Smartphone Film Festival
- Smartphone Specific Resources
- Cnet – Smartphone filmmaking videos – http://bit.ly/1PAvysC
- net – Smartphone filmmaking videos – http://bit.ly/1Hypud4
- iPhone filmmaking videos – http://bit.ly/1F1wdYH
GENERAL FILMMAKING RESOURCES
- Filmmaker IQ – http://bit.ly/1ekpqE5
- com – http://bit.ly/1Hz1QQn
- Hollywood Camerwork – http://bit.ly/1AoDbeI
- Cinematography Videos – http://bit.ly/1sLgqHM
- Lights Film School – http://bit.ly/1R9rTzb
- Tom Antos Filmmaking Tutorials – http://ly/1BfPMfn
- Curtis Judd – http://bit.ly/1cRCu2B
- It is the sole responsibility of the participant/s to secure authorization and permission for : any and all copyrighted content or materials, any and all trademarked content or materials, all actual or potential legal claims and issues, including, without limitation, claims based upon theories of libel, defamation, invasion of privacy, violation of rights of publicity, theft of trade secrets, breach of confidence, breach of confidential relationship, and breach of express or implied contract (“Third Party Claim(s)”) included within the submitted Film. The FilmTT disavows any responsibility for, and will not be held responsible for, any unauthorized inclusion of any copyrighted content or materials within or relating to the submitted Film, including any content or materials that are or may become the basis for any third party claims. In the event that any claim, dispute, action or proceeding shall be brought or asserted by any person or entity that alleges that the Film makes unauthorized or unlawful use of any content or material, the participant/s shall fully indemnify and defend FilmTT, the Festival, and each of their representatives and affiliates from any liability in connection therewith and from any fees and expenses, including but not limited to attorneys’ fees, that may be incurred in connection therewith.
- Trinidad and Tobago Film Company (FilmTT) reserves the right to disqualify participant/s from the Festival if their submission is not in keeping with the criteria and or the spirit of the requirements.
- Entries will be judged by a process in which a qualified panel of judges will evaluate the eligible entries based on the following judging criteria:
- The winners of the Festival may be required to submit additional material or evidence such as raw footage to FilmTT. A time frame will be provided to the winners for their compliance. This is needed to verify the authenticity.
- The Judges’ decision is final and binding.
- The staff and the immediate families of FilmTT, CreativeTT, MusicTT, FashionTT, Bmobile, Samsung, KnowledgeTT, Slam 100.5fm and the Judges are not eligible to enter.
- By submitting an entry to the Festival it is deemed that the participant/s acknowledges that he or she has obtained consent from any and all owners, creators, writers, producers/ song writers and/or other authorized representatives of the Film whose consent is required to submit the Film to FilmTT, and has read and understood the submission rules and regulations.
Trinidad and Tobago Film Company Limited (FilmTT)
#47 Long Circular Road, St. James
Tel: (868) 625-FILM (3456), 628-6554, Fax: (868) 622-1080